I cut out some parts today. I think this is the first time I've used a saw on this project. But first, sanding!

I read that 90% of boatbuilding is sanding. I like my random orbital sander pretty well so far. It's definitely the tool out of which I've gotten the most use. If you look in the picture, you can see I've, um... attached a shopvac hose to the exhaust rather than the little filter bag that came with the sander. So, so worth the noise. Earplugs help.

Now on to sanding...

Me sanding

and sanding...

Worn out disc

...and sanding until finally I have some pieces I can work with. Don't worry, I'm sure I'll sand them more later. Here are the thwarts all lined up and ready to be cut to shape.

Thwarts before

The kit came with patterns to trace onto the thwarts and cut out. I cut them out with a jigsaw, and it went smoothly. Well, for the most part...

Broken bit

Here are the shaped thwarts. They don't quite match the patterns but I'll clean them up once I test fit them in the boat.

Thwarts after

Also, here's the rear seat. I've been excited to see what this would look like and seeing it cut has made it that much more fun. The two colors came out very nice. I'm excited to see these epoxied and varnished. Oh yeah, and sanded.

Rear seat

Note: I'm writing/posting this quite after the fact. Here's a spoiler, the thwarts don't quite fit. I'll have to trim them down some. Also, I'm posting two entries today because I have time (and energy) to sit and write them. They are separate entries because they were separate days of work.

See you again soon (sooner this time!)